#ZeroWaste #Minimalism #BuyItForLife
Color:
I tend to go with black for my cardigans and blazers, black for my socks/shoes, neutral colors for bottoms, and colorful for my tops. This strategy allows me to have fun without worrying about anything clashing. Everything goes together.
Layering:
I wear very simple clothes so that it is easy to layer. I wear summer tops and bottoms in the winter by wearing one of my base layer underneath. If I need more warmth, I add a sweater or cardigan. I have thin, finger-less gloves for a little bit of warmth in and outside and then warmer gloves to go over the top on cold days outside. My dresses are a simple style that allow me to layer them with sweaters or a vest, for example
Washing:
I generally wear each clothing item I have at least twice before washing (except underwear, of course!). I keep track of this with a hanger system that I have: Every item has a specific spot in the closest based on item type and color (arranged by ROY G BIV). Clean clothes are hung with the hanger turned correctly. When I put away an item I wore that day back in the closet, I turn the hanger backwards. When I wear an item for the second time, I see that the hanger is backwards and throw it in the hamper, inside-out.
My hamper is a minimalist pop-up hamper that I line with a cotton canvas laundry bag. I don't have a lot of items or drying rack space, so I wash my clothes about twice per week. I pull the canvas laundry bag out of the hamper and take it downstairs to the washing machine. I don't sort my clothes; I wash darks and lights together in cool water on gentle cycle. Some items are washed inside lingerie bags. I've never had a problem with my clothes changing color from washing everything together. I think it is because I buy high quality items that don't bleed, wash with cool water, and use quality detergents. When my clothes are washed, I hang them on my drying racks.
Washing on gentle cycle in cool water, washing clothing inside-out, washing delicate items in lingerie bags, and air drying clothes on a drying rack makes them last longer. I sometimes do a deep clean of my clothes by adding diluted orange oil with disinfecting essential oils and/or washing on hot/regular cycle (depending on the item).
Mending/Stain Removal:
Learning proper mending and stain removal is important for making one's clothes last. I have a small mending kit that includes an array of small spools of thread in many colors, so I can always match the color of the item that I'm mending. My favorite stain removal products are diluted orange oil or Bac-Out. They both work so well, it's amazing.
No comments:
Post a Comment